Saturday 13 June 2009

In Despair

So there I am thinking well I've been good this week, increased the distance I've swam, done more of the annoying, but effective (for walking) Rosemary Conley exercises and been out walking, more of which later. Avoided all the unhealthy stuff, eaten in moderation and what have I got to show for it? I've lost the weight I put on last week and not one bit more. Can't decide if this is good or bad, but either way it still feels like I'm doing a lot and achieving nothing.

I really could have done with better news than that after the events of yesterday.

Yesterday Husband and I went for a planned 8 mile walk in the Manifold Valley.

The Manifold Valley from Thor's Cave

As it was going to be hot I took my smaller rucksack and asked Husband if he'd carry my walking pole on his rucksack. Parts of the route were new to me so although I don't use it that much I like to have it with me in case I need it.

The walk itself was delightful until about a third of the way round Husband asks me if I can see my walking pole on the back of his rucksack.

Answer: NO.

Decision time, do we go back and look for it or carry on and hope it will be wherever it came off his rucksack. My choice, I decide we'll carry on, after all most people are honest and if anyone finds it will leave it alone or somewhere obvious. We are both confident it came off at the start of the walk so this makes the most sense.


Thorpe Cloud & Bunster Hill from Slade House

After we finish the walk we drop the rucksacks in the car and head out to where we think we lost it, on route from Wetton to Thor's Cave. No sign of it, so Husband goes back to the car and takes it down to the bottom of the Manifold Valley and I carry on walking downhill, expecting to meet him at Weag's Bridge. Get to Weag's Bridge no husband, car, walking pole or phone signal.

What do I do?

1. Sit tight and wait for the car to arrive.

or

2. Start the steep walk up the road to Wetton.

I opt for the first option and only by chance see Husband walking away from me at Weag's Bridge, he's gone down the wrong road and is parked 20 minutes away. In the end our 8.5 mile walk became a 12.25 mile walk and I've lost my walking pole. Even worse it's a compact pole that was just right for me, as I'm quite small, but of course they don't make it anymore.

Just as well it's my birthday at the end of the month, I'd already instructed Husband to tell everyone I'd like the money this year so as that I could replace my walking boots which couldn't be repaired. I was hoping it might also stretch to a new rucksack, the zips are going in that, but now I need a walking pole as well!! Hope everyone is feeling generous.

Husband is feeling very guilty, I'm just annoyed that the one person who felt they could take something that didn't belong to them had to be walking in the same place as me yesterday.

6 comments:

mainely stitching said...

I am so sorry about the loss of your walking pole. Indeed, you'd assume someone else out there would also be honest .... Sigh.

As for the weight loss, I am in the same boat as you.

Chris said...

Hi Angela,

Sorry about your walking pole and yes what a pain that someone took it but who knows if they belong to a walking group they may be asking around if anyone has lost it, what about a post card in your local post office?
As for the weight you do need an eating plan as well as the exercise, I managed to lose a pound and a half this week but we are following the slimming world plan and it allows you to eat a lot and still lose weight, so now I have lost nine and a half pounds not loads but it all helps!
Chris x

BilboWaggins said...

Oh Angela, what an absolute B*M thing to happen, hopefully it will turn up at a nearby pub or shop - can you call a few of them and ask to leave your name & number just in case?

Lisa said...

Sorry to hear the weight isn't coming off as you'd hoped. Just keep doing what you are and you'll be sure to reap the rewards.
Sorry that you lost your walking pole as well, it's a shame everyone isn't honest.

Karan said...

I hope it's just been picked up by someone who will try to find it's owner. If not: what goes around comes around - they'll get no joy from it. Gorgeous pics as always. :0)

Brigitte said...

I love the pictures you show - wondeful scenery. Sorry about your walking pole. And about the fact that your weightis still sticking with you. But the day will come when this changes.