Monday 12 January 2009

Clementine Cake

Daughter has returned to university and we were left with a lot of satsumas that weren't going to get eaten so I used them to make a Clementine Cake with. Maybe that should be a Satsuma Cake.



Although the cake is called a Clementine Cake I haven't actually yet made it using clementines, the previous time I made it I used up an excess of oranges, either way it tastes great. Yet again it is another Nigella recipe although I have only ever seen this one on one of her TV shows and not in any of her books, and I have them all.

It's just as well I took the picture almost as soon as I'd got it out of the tin as Husband has already had a piece with his afternoon cup of tea.

Ingredients

4-5 clementines about 375g in weight
6 eggs
225g sugar (I use caster sugar)
250g ground almonds
1 tsp baking powder

Method

Oven: Gas 5 or 190C

1. Put the clementines in a saucepan of cold water, bring to the boil and simmer for 2 hours.
2. Drain and leave to cool.
3. Cut each clementine in half, remove the pips and then skin and all blitz.
4. Add all the other ingredients and blitz again to pulp.
5. Grease and line a 21 cm spring-form tin.
6. Pour the mixture into the tin and place into the oven for an hour or until a skewer comes out clean. you may need to cover the top after 35-40 minutes to stop it burning.
7. Leave to cool in the tin on a rack until it is completely cold and then take it out of the tin.

I've never tried it but the recipe I found on the internet does say you can make it using lemons, in which case increase the amount of sugar to 250g.

2 comments:

Bev said...

i love that cake too, but unfortuanlety too much which is not good, since i need to drag my self to slimmin world, love the blog too!

mainely stitching said...

Oh what yumminess! :D