Wednesday 13 August 2008

I am That Mad Person

With so much of the Olympics on in the middle of the night have you ever wondered who actually bothers to watch it then, apart, obviously, from the family of those competing? Last night it was me, up at 3:30 a.m. to watch the Women's Gymnastic Team Final. In my opinion it was well worth it and will no doubt be repeated for the other women's finals. I must be getting old as I simply can't bring myself to get up in the middle of the night to watch the men's finals, they have to wait for the repeats. Sexist I know, but middle age appears to bring a modicum of common sense with it.

Under normal circumstance I'd also watch the Swimming Finals live but the I.O.C. caved in to pressure from American TV and moved the finals from the evening session to the morning session so as that it would be on at prime time in America. Like many, many swimmers I think this is wrong. To me part of the charm of the Olympics is the fact that, depending on where it is located, you might have to watch at weird times of night. I well remember screaming at Steve Redgrave at midnight when he was on his way to winning his 5th gold. We live in a very well detached house so me screaming at anyone at odd hours in the morning is only going to wake up Daughter, whose bedroom is above the living room. There is definitely something wrong with the world when age-old traditions are changed because of TV companies.

Yesterday I did make it to the gym but couldn't actually do my full routine as I had a time limit because I was due at a family funeral in the afternoon. I hadn't realised, but the time I went was during a GP Referral session so the treadmills and bikes were full of people doing gentle exercise but the weights were free, which made a change. Hitting the gym at a time like this certainly makes you think, as so many of the GP Referrals are there after they have suffered a heart attack. Not a fate I fancy for myself, especially as I plan on living to 130.

With everything else that was going on yesterday turned into a no sewing day. Today I plan on doing some work on the Jayne's Attic Monthly Stitching Challenge and if I can ever wake up properly, going to the gym.

3 comments:

BilboWaggins said...

I'm glad it is not just me who is unimpressed that the swimming finals were changed to suit all those $$$ from American TV . . . sigh

Stitchingranny said...

Now I know 2 mad people - my hubby being the other one. As for me well I am one of the sad ones who would probably still see nothing of them even if they were on during the day.

glamlawlib said...

LOL I always wondered who that mad person was and now I know :)

Hope you got to your stitching, sometimes it's hard fitting it all in isn't it?

Thanks for stopping by my blog.